The sugar industry is one of the largest agro-based industries in Tanzania and a major contributor to the agriculture sector. The industry provides substantial direct and indirect employment in the form of people engaged in growing sugarcane, sugar manufacturing and in the provision of inputs, services, agro-service agencies, transport and social services. Sugarcane from which sugar is manufactured is a major cash crop and sugar is a strategic commodity in the development of Tanzania for domestic and industrial uses.
Desirously of developing the sugar industry and ensure its growth and sustainability, Key Sugar Industry Stakeholders established the Sugar Industry Development Trust Fund (SIDTF) to foster the development of the sugar industry, mainly, contributing to; funding of sugar industry research and training development activities, through contributions from sugar manufactured, as determined by the Trust Fund. The Fund is managed by the Board of Trustees representing Tanzania Sugar Producers, Cane Growers and the Government (Ministry of Agriculture and the Sugar Board of Tanzania).
The Position: Fund Secretary.
SIDTF is seeking to recruit a dynamic and experienced individual to be the operational in-charge of the Trust Fund in the role of Fund Secretary. The Fund Secretary reports to the SIDTF Board of Trustees on all day to day activities of the Fund.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Overall responsibility for management of day-to-day operations of the Trust Fund in accordance with the regulations established by the SIDTF Board and implementation of SIDTF objectives, ensuring the achievement of the objectives and goals of SIDTF, as established and directed by the SIDTF Board of Trustees.
- Overall Coordination of SIDTF activities, particularly:
- Monitor SIDTF funded research, training and development activities.
- Initiate and develop funding procedures, programmes and plans for sugar industry research and training activities under industry shared functions, for the approval of the SIDTF Board of Trustees.
- Formulate support programmes for better sugarcane growing projects under industry shared functions and provide necessary advisory services to the Board of Trustees in respect of modern technology and agricultural management either through internally or outsourced services.
- In collaboration with the Sugar Board of Tanzania (SBT), Tanzania Agricultural Research Institute (TARI) and relevant industry Stakeholders, provide public education on the development of the sugarcane husbandry and sugar production.
- In collaboration with TARI and National Sugar Institute (NSI) disseminate research and training findings to industry stakeholders.
- Provide support and cooperation with local and international organizations with similar or like objectives.
- Oversee the fiscal activities of SIDTF including budgeting, reporting and audit.
- Identify challenges and opportunities related to the operations of sugar industry research and training and address them.
- Assure the filing of all legal and regulatory documents and monitor compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
- Work closely with the SBT, TARI, NSI, Sugar Producers, Cane Growers AMCOS, Apex Association of Sugar Producers, Tanzania Society of Sugar and Cane Technologists (TSSCT) relevant Government Organisations, Development Partners, Sponsors, office staff and ensure smoothly functioning of the Trust Fund.
- Organize, prepare, facilitate and actively participate in negotiations of all SIDTF activities and events, including the sugar industry stakeholders’forum meetings, relevant agricultural exhibitions, industry promotional and communication activities.
- Undertake any other functions as may be directed by the Board of Trustees.
Qualification and Experience:
- A Master’s Degree either in Law, Economics, Agriculture or Business Administration from a recognized High Learning Institution is required, with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a Senior Management position.
- Demonstrated ability, strong awareness and understanding of agri-business support programmes and development.
- Successful track record of building and sustaining relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience in the sugar industry will be an advantage but not pre-requisite.
This position carries attractive remuneration commensurate with experience. An indication of expectations should be included in the application.
Mode of Application:
Applicants are required to submit their applications together with contact details of three referees, copies of Certificates and Curriculum Vitae (CV) to the Chairman of SIDTF Board, only through the email address below, not later than 21st September 2023
Sugar Industry Development Trust Fund Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
JIUNGE NA GROUP ZETU ZA WHATSAPP & TELEGRAM