Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research, service delivery and policy translation.
Ifakara seeks a qualified Biomedical Engineer to fill an internship position within The Newborn Essential Solutions and Technologies (NEST) program. The NEST program aims to implement comprehensive newborn care through innovative lifesaving technologies, the provision of both technical and clinical capacity-building, the implementation of clinical and technical educational programs and the building of a sustainable distribution network. The Biomedical Engineer will be responsible for leading all engineering maintenance and coordination initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities 1. Management of Equipment Installation and Maintenance (with a Local Distributor)
- Assist in the identification of a maintenance point person at each installation site.
- Assist in acquiring a maintenance space/workshop at each site.
- Communicate routinely with distributors and installation sites to ensure implementation is taking place.
- With support from the RICE NEST Biomed Tech Training Director, lead all engineering maintenance & coordination initiatives.
- Assist in the coordination of installation and user training for NEST equipment in programmesupported sites.
- Support tracking installed equipment and status, including maintenance and repair history and analysis.
- Support the development and monitoring of preventive and corrective maintenance, tool management requisition and supply and equipment inventory systems.
- Assist with coordination and conduction of user and technician training and installations at all sites.
- Support coordination of repair and maintenance of all installed equipment as necessary.
- Support to develop a recommendation plan for preventive maintenance on team, user and installation site responsibility levels.
- Support to perform Quality improvement/periodic field visits to ensure the quality of equipment care and monitor progress.
- Brainstorm needs within nursery and training institution installation sites, including but not limited to equipment design, nursery infrastructure and layout and renewable energy.
2. Ministry of Health Engagement and Facilitation
- Assist in the development of job aids, videos and training curriculum for MOH technical and clinical staff.
- Support in the development and implementation of a maintenance-supportive supervision program and coordination of program activities.
- Assist in developing strategies to increase maintenance staff uptake of equipment repair.
3. Communication and Reporting
- Immediately provide feedback to project leadership following installations, user training or maintenance visits with pertinent information (e.g. numbers of users and technicians trained, maintenance, design and repair issues).
- Provide support in compiling and reviewing high-quality reports to donors and program management in a timely fashion.
- Assist abreast of developments in grant/program changes and progress to advise and recommend tools and strategies to increase program performances and results.
- Assist in reviewing and analyzing field reports to identify the causes of potential bottlenecks in program implementation and use data for decision-making and action.
- Assist in ensuring donors, partners and senior management engineering and maintenance queries are addressed in an accurate and timely manner.
- Assist with data analysis, report writing and publications.
- Undertake any other duties as assigned by the Principal Investigator.
Qualification and Experience
- Holder of a degree in Biomedical engineering or other related discipline, post-graduate levels are highly encouraged to apply.
- At least 1 year of experience in engineering in the health or development field.
Skills and Competencies
- Basic knowledge of qualitative and quantitative data collection, management and analysis using packages such as Tableau, SPSS, STATA, Excel, RedCap, etc.
- Ability in data interpretation, report-writing and presentation skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment, including the ability to coordinate effectively with diverse individuals and stakeholders to achieve results.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Ability to travel extensively in-country and out of the country whenever necessary.
- Adhere to IHI core values (Integrity, Initiative, Equity, Excellence, Accountability).
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates as per IHI internship package.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the email address below.
The deadline for this application is 17:00hrs on Friday, September 22nd 2023. All e-mail application subject lines should include: BIOMEDICAL ENGINEER – NEST Dar. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview.
#5 Ifakara Street Plot 463 Mikocheni
P.O. Box 78,373
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
JIUNGE NA GROUP ZETU ZA WHATSAPP & TELEGRAM