Good Neighbors is an international humanitarian development NGO founded in Korea in 1991. It was granted General Consultative Status from the United Nations Economic and Social Council (UN ECOSOC). The aim is to make the world a place without hunger, where people live together in harmony. In Tanzania it was officially established in 2005 and our efforts work towards creating an environment where children’s rights are protected and sustainable development of communities through empowerment, leadership and ownership.
Good Neighbors Tanzania is looking for individuals to join our highly motivated team in the following role;
Position: Volunteer in seaweed project
Reports to: Project Supervisor
Location: Zanzibar- Tanzania
Contract Duration: 5 months, subject to renewal based on mutual agreement, performance or/and funding availability.
Under the overall authority of the Country Director (CD) of Good Neighbors Tanzania (GNTZ), the position Volunteer will be responsible for the direction, management, and oversight of all aspects of the Seaweed Project in Zanzibar and coordinate and implement strategies through developing programs and empowerment activities according to organizational goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervision of Seaweed farmers in Zanzibar, which includes; ➢Day-to-day directions and monitoring of the progress of work.
➢ Prepare, check, and review reports work plans, BRQs, FSS and other documents within the Seaweed Project, ensuring accuracy, compliance and timely submission.
- Assisting local farmers in the cultivation and maintenance of seaweed farms. This may include planting, harvesting, and caring for the seaweed beds training and skill development during the project implementation.
- Engaging with local communities in participating in community meetings, workshops, and educational programs to raise awareness about the project’s objectives and benefits.
- Collecting and recording data on seaweed growth rates, productivity, and overall project outcomes may be part of your responsibilities. Analyzing this data could help improve the project’s efficiency and effectiveness.
- Prepare and submit periodic/thematic reports such as Monthly reports and activity plans.
- Ensure gathering of PR data from the field (photos, interviews, stories, etc), the present project in media
- Project administration: Helping with administrative tasks, such as organizing schedules, coordinating activities, and documenting progress.
- Helping with administrative tasks, such as organizing schedules, coordinating activities, and documenting progress.
- Any other related duties as may be assigned.
Qualification, Experiences and Competencies
- A bachelor’s degree/Diploma in a relevant field such as Marine Biology, Aquaculture, Environmental Science, Oceanography, Fisheries, or related field.
- Experience in the field of aquaculture, marine biology, or a related area is highly valued. This experience can be gained through previous work in the industry, internships, or research projects.
- Familiarity with the principles and practices of seaweed farming is crucial. This includes understanding the biology of seaweed species, cultivation techniques, and sustainability practices.
- The volunteer will be responsible for planning, coordinating, and overseeing various aspects of the seaweed farming project. Therefore, knowledge of project management principles and skills in organizing tasks, managing resources, and meeting project deadlines is essential
- Strong communication skills are vital as job holder needs to liaise with stakeholders, local communities, government agencies, and other team members involved in the project.
- Proficiency in English and Swahili is necessary.
- Seaweed farming projects can face various challenges, such as environmental factors, regulatory issues, or market changes. An adaptable and problem-solving mindset is valuable for a job holder to address these challenges effectively
- Ability to multi-task, ability to handle pressure well, ability to improvise, flexibility, adaptability to transitions
- Sincerity, patience, tact, and the ability to earn the trust of others
- Good motivational organizational skills
- Perform other duties as required
- Team Work
- Always Eager to learn new work approaches and skills.
- All interested candidates, who meet the above requirements, please Click here to apply for the position on or before 09th August, 2023. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- When applying please attach detailed curriculum vitae containing complete names and addresses (postal, email, phone), together with names and contact details of three referees.
- All applications should be addressed to Country Director, Good Neighbors Tanzania, P.O. Box 33104, Dar es Salaam.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted through their active mobile numbers and email addresses.
- Good Neighbors Tanzania will not be responsible for transport or/and accommodation during the interview, there will be no refund for the expenses incurred.
- Good Neighbors Tanzania has a zero tolerance to any harm or sexual exploitation and abuse against any beneficiaries (or program participants). Safeguarding and Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) is everyone’s shared responsibility and all GN employees and partners are required to adhere to GN’s Code of Conduct both during and outside working hours. Familiarization with and adherence to the GN Safeguarding Policy and Code of Conduct is an essential requirement of all employees and partners, in addition to related mandatory training. All applicants interested to work with GNTZ must ensure that they understand and act in accordance with this clause. Please Click here to access and review GN Safeguarding Policy.
JIUNGE NA GROUP ZETU ZA WHATSAPP & TELEGRAM