The Internet Governance Forum (IGF) calls for strengthening and enhancing stakeholder engagement from developing countries.
It also calls for the Forum to contribute to building capacity for Internet governance in developing countries, drawing fully on local sources of knowledge and expertise.
During the IGF 2018, the United Nations Secretary-General has called for action to increase inclusiveness in the IGF processes, underlining that the IGF must increase its efforts to draw upon the “weak and missing voices” into the IGFs work. It was also called for a broader multidisciplinary approach, to involve experts not traditionally involved in the IGF processes. The community also echoed for more inclusion and diversity in the IGF’s participation spectrum.
For these reasons, a limited number of eligible candidates from developing countries are supported to participate at the 18th annual meeting of the IGF hosted by the Government of Japan in Kyoto from 8 to 12 October 2023. The support is provided through the IGF Global South Fund, which is funded by the Governments of Germany and Japan.
- The Call will consider supporting individual stakeholders that fulfill the following criteria:
- Represent any stakeholder group;
- Are from a Least Developed Country, Landlocked Developing Country, Small Island Developing State or a Transitional Economy;
- Are engaged in the IGF 2023 process as active contributors (e.g. to the intersessional and NRIs work; as session co-organizers, session speakers, moderators and rapporteurs);
- Demonstrate interest in Internet governance-related activities;
- Show a demonstrated commitment to contributing to its community after participating at the IGF;
- Are recommended by a respected community member.
- Preference may be given to underrepresented groups, such as: women, indigenous people, persons with disabilities, elderly population, youth.
- Those requesting partial funding will be given preference over others, should all criteria be met.
- Those that did not receive travel support in past may be given preference, should all criteria be met.
- The IGF Secretariat will evaluate received applications as per the above-listed eligible criteria. Applications will be given further consideration if three first formal criteria are met.
- The number of selected candidates would be dependent on the funds available.
- The final compositions of participants will be stakeholder, regionally, gender and age-balanced.
- The IGF Secretariat can approach underrepresented stakeholders that can enrich the diversity of the meeting and comply with the eligibility criteria, with an offer to support their participation at the IGF 2023.
For more information, visit IGF.
JIUNGE NA GROUP ZETU ZA WHATSAPP & TELEGRAM