Capacity Development Specialist Job Opportunity at UONGOZI Institute
Dar es Salaam
UONGOZI Institute was established in 2010 by the Government of Tanzania to inspire and equip Tanzanian and African leaders to deliver inclusive and sustainable solutions. This is done through the provision of high-quality executive education programmes, facilitation of policy dialogues, action-oriented research and technical assistance for public institutions.
The Institute is currently seeking to fill the position of Capacity Development Specialist (CDS). Reporting to the CEO, the CDS will be responsible for the management of the department of Executive Education. The CDS will be responsible for overseeing the development and implementation of our executive education programmes in line with the objectives established in the Institute’s strategic plan. They will also be actively engaged in building and strengthening partnerships, as well as resource mobilisation. The CDS will lead a team of professionals and is a member of the Institute’s senior management team.
Duties and responsibilities
Manage Executive Education department
- Design leadership development programmes
- Review and integrate leadership development trends, approaches and methodologies to service offering to ensure high-quality programmes.
- Represent the Institute in the inter-ministerial, clients’ meetings.
- Ensure timely, quality reporting of the department’s activities in line with the Institute’s reporting processes.
- Develop and monitor budget for the department
- Provide advisory and technical support on the strategic direction of the Institute
- Contribute to the management and strategic direction of the Institute as a key member of the senior management team.
- Ensure that the department’s activities are in line with and support the implementation of all other areas of work of the Institute.
- Provide guidance and support the CEO in his interactions with key stakeholders of the Institute.
Coordinate the department’s activities whilst ensuring quality and relevance
- Facilitate executive education programmes offered by the Institute.
- Lead the coordination of training programmes, including Training-Needs Assessments, identification of instructors/facilitators and quality control of the programmes.
- Prepare training reports and concept notes for further studies and programmes improvement.
- Prepare presentations and speeches for various stakeholders, including specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Benchmark the training programmes offered by the Institute against those offered by similar institutions globally to examine quality and relevance.
- Apply recommendations and data from clients/stakeholders in refining training materials on an annual basis.
Networking with the Institute’s stakeholders and resource mobilisation activities
- Nurture and build relationships with public sector institutions to identify current government priorities to strategic entry points for the Institute.
- Establish and maintain relationships with development partners and other relevant actors to achieve collaboration, cooperation and alliances on training programme development, implementation, and resource mobilisation.
- Support the development and implementation of the Institute’s resource mobilisation strategy.
- Provide input to advocacy and public communication strategies.
- Actively pursue opportunities for the department members to continue to learn best practices in providing leadership programmes through research, professional development and other
- learning and development opportunities.
- Supervise, coach and guide personnel.
- Ensure a common vision aligned with the Institute’s strategic plan is shared among the team.
- Create an enabling work environment and promote team work.
- Leadership – ability to persuade others to follow.
- People management – ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Team management – ability to create common vision and well-functioning teams.
- Programme management – ability to formulate, implement and monitor leadership training programmes.
- Operational management – ability to develop plans, budgets and concept notes and deliver on them.
- Contract management – ability to manage and oversee outsourced trainers and facilitators.
- Stakeholders management – ability to manage multiple stakeholders and balance often contradictory expectations, building and maintaining relationships.
- Collaboration and partnerships – ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships.
- Analytical skills – ability to understand complex situations, good understanding of executive leadership programmes
- Results-based management – ability to link implementation of plans to achieving results.
- Networking skills – ability to network with public sector leaders in the highest levels, development partners and private sector representatives.
- Writing skills – capacity to tailor and deliver messages in writing in a concise manner.
- Communication – ability to effectively communicate intensions and requirements to internal and external stakeholders.
- Advisory skills – ability to facilitate advisory services.
- Applicants must be in public service (government ministries, departments and agencies).
- Master’s degree in social sciences or relevant field. PhD in social sciences or relevant field is an asset.
- Ten years of relevant experience with eight years in senior management role(s) related to executive education.
- Proven record of coordinating, facilitating and supervising executive education programmes.
- Solid communication skills and excellent networking skills.
- Fluency in English and Swahili.
- Proven track record of partnership building and resource mobilisation.
- Please ensure that you mention www.mabumbe.com as the source of this job advertisement.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit their application, comprising of:
- Brief statement on the related or similar work as above.
- Detailed curriculum vitae with contact details for three referees.
- Copies of certificates.
Above to be submitted to the following address:
Chief Executive Officer
Plot no. 100, Magogoni street, Kivukoni
P.O. Box 105753, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Phone: +255 (0) 22 211 0374
OR through Email firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line “CAPACITY DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST”.
Deadline for Receiving Applications: 2 October, 2022.
UONGOZI Institute is an equal opportunity employer, committed to strengthening the diversity of its workforce. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.