PhD Training Opportunities (2 posts)
Focus of research will be on malaria modelling to support anti-malarial interventions or models to optimize vector control tools.
Position: PhD Training Opportunities (2 posts)
Reports To: Program Coordinator
Work Station: Dar es Salaam
Apply By: July 5th, 2022
Ifakara Health Institute in collaboration with the Swiss Tropical and Public Health (Swiss TPH) institute, would like to invite interested and qualified candidates from Tanzania holding Master’s in Epidemiology, Mathematics, Mathematical Modelling, Statistics, or any other relevant quantitative disciplines to apply for the two (2) fully-funded three-year Doctoral training in Malaria Modelling.
The candidates will develop their PhD research idea around the use of modelling techniques to support sub-national tailoring of anti-malarial interventions or models to optimize vector control tools. Qualified candidates will pursue their PhD studies at the Swiss TPH, starting in the Fall of 2022 with 50% of the time spent in Tanzania.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Pursue PhD studies in Epidemiology.
- Extending VCOM as part of your PhD studies.
- Training and use of OpenMalaria simulation platform.
- Enhance your understanding of mosquito biology and related fields.
- Enhance programming skills by working on specific projects.
- Enhance mathematical modelling, data management and analysis skills.
- Gain experience on how to participate in a team of research scientists.
- Gain training on how to write research grants.
- Participate in writing reports, scientific manuscripts, and other outputs to disseminate results in technical working groups, local and international conferences, and peer-reviewed journals.
- Seek support from senior scientists to apply for grants.
- Provide support to undertake different reviews related to infectious disease modelling projects.
- Assist with any other duties as directed by the program coordinator.
Qualification and Experience
- Holder of Master of Science in Epidemiology, Mathematics, Mathematical Modelling, Statistics, or any other related discipline from a recognized university.
Skills and Competencies
- Strong background in Mathematics, Mathematical Modelling, Statistics, or any other related fields.
- Proficiency with statistical software R is a must.
- Experienced with data analysis packages, e.g., STATA, R, MATLAB.
- Strong data management and data analysis skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written English, with good presentation skills.
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary team and as part of a team on large research projects.
- Having some knowledge of mosquito biology and infectious diseases is a plus.
- Mathematical modelling in infectious diseases experience is a plus.
- Experience with publishing in international peer-reviewed journals is a plus.
- Adherence to both IHI and Swiss TPH core values is mandatory.
Successful candidates for these PhD opportunities will benefit from this program through the following: scholarship will cover full tuition fees, standard PhD monthly stipend when at Swiss TPH, research funds through IHI and other related research costs.
Ifakara and the Swiss TPH are equal opportunity employers. They prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above requirements should send their application letters together with a personal/motivational statement, their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates and transcripts to the email address below.
The deadline for this application is 11:59hrs (EAT) on Tuesday, July 5th 2022. All e-mail application subject lines should indicate by specifying the position applied for: APPLICATION FOR PhD POSITION – MALARIA MODELLING. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted to go through technical and non-technical interviews.
Human Resources Manager
IFAKARA HEALTH INSTITUTE
#5 Ifakara Street Plot 463 Mikocheni
P.O. Box 78,373
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania