Environmental Curricula Grants Program
The Melinda Gray Ardia Environmental Foundation’s Environmental Curricula Grants Program is now open to support educators in developing and implementing holistic environmental curricula that:
- Integrate field activities and classroom teaching, and
- Incorporate basic ecological principles and problem solving.
The Foundation have developed the grant program with the following goals:
- To empower and encourage students to become involved in solving environmental and social problems
- To promote thoughtful and appropriate analysis and understanding of the natural world
- To train students as informed decision makers through the emphasis and application of basic ecological principles.
The Foundation give grants of up to $1500. If the MGAEF contribution will be part of a larger requirement, include the total budget of the project indicating what the funds will support. If your total budget exceeds $1500, as many projects do, it is important to:
- State whether you have obtained or applied for additional funds
- Give an honest appraisal of whether the project can succeed without these additional funds but with the $1500 grant.
To be awarded a grant, environmental curricula must:
- Show a holistic approach
- Strive to synthesize multiple levels of learning (facts, concepts, principles)
- Include experiential integrated learning and problem solving
- Be founded on basic scientific principles, including hypothesis testing and experimental design
- Incorporate basic ecological principles and field environmental activities within a primary or secondary school setting
- Present controversial issues objectively, stressing the development of individual student opinions
- Any organization is eligible to apply, including schools, non-profits, governmental agencies and others.
- The only criterion is that they are required to provide funds to an organization, not to an individual. If you are self-employed, you need to find a sponsoring organization.
- They fund organizations across the globe, for example in Tanzania, Kenya, Guatemala, Chile and Bangladesh.
For more information, visit http://www.mgaef.org/application.htmTags: Environmental, Environmental Curricula Grants Program, The Melinda Gray Ardia