National Geographic Society/Buffett Awards for Leadership in Conservation 2022 (up to $25,000)
Deadline: January 17, 2022
Applications are open for the National Geographic Society/Buffett Awards for Leadership in Conservation 2022. The Awards for Leadership in Conservation were established by the Society and The Howard G. Buffett Foundation to recognize and celebrate unsung heroes working in the field.
Two awards are presented each year: one for achievement in Africa (established in 2002) and the other for achievement in Latin America (established in 2005). Recipients of these awards have demonstrated outstanding leadership in managing and protecting the natural resources in their regions and countries. In addition, they are each inspirational conservation advocates who serve as role models and mentors.
- The awardees chosen each year are honored at a ceremony in Washington, D.C., and receive a one-time award of $25,000 to support their ongoing work.
- Nominee must be a citizen from a country in Africa or Latin America where he/she develops the conservation work. Expatriates do not qualify for these awards, although they recognize the important work they do around the world.
- Nominee must be an accomplished individual that has created positive change in his/her community through conservation.
- Buffett Awards are NOT lifetime achievement awards, nor are they early career awards. Thus nominees must be at the peak of their careers as conservation leaders.
- Preference will be given to nominees who have not received multiple conservation awards.
- Preference will be given to nominees with species-focused conservation efforts.
- Individuals nominating themselves will not be considered.
The deadline to submit the nominations is January 17, 2022.
For more information, visit National Geographic Buffett Award.Tags: Buffett Awards for Leadership in Conservation, Conservation, National Geographic Society