Call for Proposals 2021: Support for Enterprise Development
Norad has launched the application-based grant scheme “Enterprise Development for Jobs,” to support projects that stimulate and promote a sound private sector development in developing countries and enhance job creation or vocational training, ultimately contributing to reduced poverty.
Grants are provided to reduce risk prior to an investment decision. This includes support for feasibility studies, partner search, trial production, training of local staff, increase employment (local labour force), strengthening of local suppliers/value chains and local infrastructure investments.
The grant scheme aims to contribute to sustainable economic growth in selected sectors that are key for many developing countries and in which Norway has a particular expertise. Priority Sectors are the renewable energy, ICT, agriculture, fisheries/marine resources, and maritime sectors.
Applications for all sectors will be reviewed and may qualify for support. Preference will however be given to projects in the following sectors:
The purpose of this application-based grant scheme is to support projects that stimulate and promote a sound private sector development in developing countries and enhance job creation or vocational training, ultimately contributing to reduced poverty.
- Agro-investments, with emphasis on food security and climate smart agriculture at small-holder level
- Maritime sector
- Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
- Renewable energy
- However, other sectors may also qualify.
- Increased job-creation in ODA countries,
- Increased export of goods and services from ODA countries,
- Increased access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy in ODA countries,
- Reduced emissions from the energy sector.
Norad has not defined an upper limit. Most projects supported based on previous calls from proposals have received grants in the range from NOK 500 000 to around NOK 5 million, but it all depends on the project.
The target groups are:
- Potential employees in developing countries.
- The population in developing countries,
- in particular population groups without access to renewable energy.
- in particular women, youth, and people with disabilities.
This call is open for projects implemented in all countries approved for Norwegian development assistance, with a preference for projects in Least Developed Countries. Norwegian development aid also targets partner countries for long-term development cooperation. These are Colombia, Ethiopia*, Ghana, Indonesia, Malawi, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Tanzania, and Uganda. (*subject to change due to changes in political situation).
- The applicant must be a legal commercial company. Please note that holding, investment, consulting companies nor equipment suppliers are not eligible for support.
- The applicant must have the necessary professional and administrative expertise.
- The applicant must have financial capacity to implement the supported project as well as the main project (main investment).
- The applicant must present audited accounts for the last year.
- The applicant must have had a turnover in the last accounting year of at least NOK 6 million from the commercial activities. The criterion does not apply for ICT and off-grid renewable energy projects, provided that:
- the applicant at the last emission, having taken place within the last 12 months prior to the date of application, had a market capitalization of minimum NOK 6 million; or
- the applicant has at least 20 full-time permanent employees.
For more information, visit https://www.norad.no/en/front/funding/private-sector-development/enterprise-development-for-jobs/Tags: Support for Enterprise Development