Call for Applications: Ocean Fellowship Program 2022 (up to €4,500)
Deadline: December 23, 2021
Applications are open for the Ocean Fellowship Program 2022. In collaboration with The Sámi Pavilion at the 59th Venice Biennale in 2022, the Office for Contemporary Art Norway, aabaakwad, and Artis, the Ocean Fellowship 2022 gathers participants to consider their kinship and duties of care toward the Ocean and its relations in multi-species communities and with diverse lifeforms.
During a three-month residency at Ocean Space, Venice, the selected four fellows under the guidance of the two invited mentors, Rebecca Belmore and Harald Gaski, will engage in conversations and exchange, share their own practices, host open and closed workshops, and develop public sessions connecting the Venice community and collaborators (like ISMAR-CNR, UNESCO, Ocean-Archive, Ca’Foscari, Samí Pavilion, for example) with local and international audiences as accomplices and participants in the development of a set of principles for Ocean kinship.
- The Ocean Fellowship program will offer a total allowance of 4,500 EUR per fellow for the full duration of the program, in addition to covering the travel to and from Venice and accommodation in Venice for three months (subject to one return ticket and modest accommodation in accordance with the travel policy). The allowance may be subject to tax, status will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
- They will support each successful applicant individually in the process of securing additional support as well as clearing visas and medical insurance.
- Open to individuals who identify as Indigenous and/or who align themselves with Indigenous issues.
- Artists, activists, scientists, and practitioners from all fields are encouraged to apply for the fellowship.
- Applicants should engage critically with oceanic subjects.
Supporting documents required:
- Personal statement: You can submit this expression of motivation in any medium or format you wish (text, image, sound…) as long as it is a single file with a maximum size of 100 MB.
- References to your previous experiences and projects relevant to the fellowship program. [A single file with a maximum size of 100 MB.]
- Names and contact details of two references familiar with your research.